Friday, August 16, 2013

Military Housing

I'm listening to things going on right now and have heard over and over again in my past 20 years of military spouse life that living on post is AWFUL because everyone is in your business.  First of all, what does in your business mean?  I know we all actually know it but seriously if your neighbors pick up on stuff and pay attention to things its because its out there already.  Second of all, I have come to the conclusion that military families pay more attention to what is going on around them and their environment.

Seriously folks, we hear it from our husbands and wives, my Redneck, the FRG leaders, OPSEC reminders etc., so what do you expect?  People pay attention not just because they are "nosy" but because our husbands/wives that are soldiers have trained us to pay attention to what's going on in our backyard.  Frankly after September 11th, we need to do this.

Personally, I think it takes a village to raise a child, support a military family and to be a part of a community.  You may not like it and that's fine don't live in a military housing community if you can get away with it.  But honestly, I think it's not as awful as folks make it out to be.  We look out for our own.  We have neighborhood families that attempt to take care of each other when they are allowed and its not looked at being in someone's business.  Nobody ever knows everyone's business.  Nobody can.  You just need to look at it differently and roll with the punches.

Do I pay attention to what goes on in my neighborhood?  Yes, I do.  I do it for the safety of my family.  I need to know the climate of the neighborhood is safe and things are going alright in order to allow them to enjoy the things they wish to do.  Do I let neighbors know my business?  Yes, I do.  Why?  Back to that it takes a village to raise children, to support a military family, etc.  I appreciate my neighbors and I appreciate them enough for them to know what has happened at and around my home and what my children are up to in order to keep them walking the straight and narrow.

Yes, I'm old school.  I've been on the receiving end of phone calls from parents being told about my girlfriend and I speeding in the backwoods of Lowndes County.  She was driving that time ;-).  But in the end, it's for the safety and protection of our children and family that that statement has come to be.

It takes a village.  It takes a military family to recognize and see issues that are happening in another military family.  Sometimes people don't like them pointed out, but in the end it is for the best to help children, spouses and even the soldier.  Situations vary and ways of doing this vary, but remember when you complain about military housing....at least those of us living in and around you are in the same boat as you.  We know the deal, we know your pain, your stress, your sorrows and sooner or later we all help each other.

It takes a village to raise a child.  It takes a military spouse to understand another military spouse past or present.  It takes a neighborhood to make sure our children are safe and protected when they walk down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment